Friday, October 26, 2012

Locks of Love

For most of my life I've had long hair. A few times when I was younger I had cute little bobs, but for the most part I've always been able to pull it back in a pony tail. I love long hair because you can do absolutely anything to it. You can curl it, straighten it, pull it back, do crazy up-do's. Seriously anything! But at some point I think every girl with long hair needs to think to themselves "is it time for a change?"; "does my long hair define who I am inside?".

For about a year leading up to my wedding I grew my hair out to the longest length it's ever been. My friends and family loved it. They commented all the time about how my long hair was perfect for me, and they were just accustomed to seeing me like that. As soon as the wedding was over I knew it was time for a change. Not only was I tired of dealing with so much hair, but I was also tired of always looking the same. Every morning I would get up, be too lazy to style my hair, and then end up pulling it back into a ponytail. Why have long hair when you aren't even wearing it down? I definitely knew it was time to cut it off when my family and friends were giving me such a hard time about going to a shorter style. They loved my long hair and thought that was what I needed to keep. Your hair is not what defines who you are, and sometimes cutting it off can be like a new beginning. I was already living a new adventure in my personal life, so why not have the outside of me reflect the inside?



I also knew that I wanted to do something meaningful for someone else, so I decided to donate my hair to Locks of Love. I did this once in high school, and even though it seems like such a simple act of kindness it really is one of the most meaningful things I have ever done. I was so happy I could donate my hair again this time, and knowing what I was going to do with my locks of hair made the actual hair cut so easy to go through! Who cares if I have short hair or long hair? You can feel good about yourself either way, so take a chance and try something different. I truly feel now that my hairstyle reflects the new changes that are happening in my life, but at the same time I know that my hair is not what changed me. I changed how I felt about myself inside first, and then I let me hair reflect that amazing change.

Now I want to challenge everyone out there with long hair to try something different! Take a chance and while you're at it help someone else in need. Donate your hair to Locks of Love. It is an amazing feeling to know that you can truly make a difference in someone else's life.



For more information about the process of donating your hair, check out the Locks of Love website

http://www.locksoflove.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment